Friday 30 September 2011

Something for the weekend...

AHAAAA..

'I Partridge: We need to talk about Alan' by Alan Partridge (with help!)

Ok, I know I'm preaching to the converted here and if you're not a fan of the TV series/radio shows then you won't enjoy this book. I'm really here to reassure any fans that this is a worthwhile purchase. I can confirm that. And I am confirming it. Now.
Coogan's greatest creation is brought brilliantly to life in all his pompous, arrogant splendour. This is not a cheap cash in (we can leave those to Peter Kay) it's a genuinely laugh out loud continuation of the legend that is Partridge (as we wait for the film!)

What I especially like is that although he talks about 'The day today', & 'Knowing me knowing you' as if they were real shows he doesn't acknowledge the existence of the 'I'm Alan Partridge' shows. This means 'Alan' can lie about things he doesn't think we know. So his meeting with Tony Hayers in the BBC cafe (the 'smell my cheese' scene) is hilariously re-played as a triumph for our hero & Chris Feather (Hayers replacement) warns Alan (just before he signs the contract) that he's trapped his hand that morning so his signature might look a bit 'weird & shakey' (for those who haven't seen it - Feather dies just before signing & Partridge fakes his signature). I also like the way he calls Lynne simply 'my assistant' through the entire book.

You hear Alan as you read & that makes it all the funnier, honestly I can't recommend it enough. He's done it, he's bounced back (again).


Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment